home about us thoughts the kitchen beliefs Image Map
[the beginning of our eternity]

Opportunities to Do Good

(Kala was painting a poster for Aunt Melissa and Baby Ryker to come home from the hospital, he had sooo much fun to say the least!)

This past Sunday I was given the opportunity to speak at church. I was not given a topic, but was asked to pray about what I should speak on. Right off the bat, I thought of the talk, "What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to be?" by Elder Lynn G. Robbins, because I had been so touched by it in the last general conference. It truly moved me to action. I decided after that talk that I wanted to do the things that we therefore move me forward to the person that I so desire to be. I decided that I would work on responding to the small everyday promptings I receive from the Lord, particularly those that concerned service to others, even if it was just a phone call or a note. Truly it has changed my life. As this opportunity to speak came up I felt that others too may benefit from the experiences that I have had since last april. Well I got in the car the next morning to go to the market and my husband had a byu-speech podcast playing called "Why Giving Matters". Talk about incredible! If you ever had an excuse of why you couldn't give, this sure PROVES (literally with statistics) why we can and should serve. It's incredible the impact service has on the lives of others as well as our own and watching THIS short video (4 mins) this evening just reiterated that to me. I am so very grateful to be part of a church that stresses to its members the importance of service. I truly hope that I can truly "be" a service oriented person and that the Lord can count on me when he needs something to be done. I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to serve my sweet sister this week in Tuscon as she recovers. I don't think helping with the cutest little newborn really counts as service but I am thankful for each and every opportunity that the Lord gives me to help others, even if they may be small and insignificant to me, who knows, maybe one day it will seem much more to someone on the other end...

1 comments:

Kody and Mary Sherwood said...

You are an inspiration! I sure love you!

Post a Comment