home about us thoughts the kitchen beliefs Image Map
[the beginning of our eternity]

Patience

This past week I have learned quite a few lessons on patience.

We'll start with Benson's lesson to me.
He loves to unlatch while eating. over and over and over. He'll eat for about four minutes before he unlatches. Then he just wants you to talk to him and play with him. and talk to him and smile. and talk to him. and talk to him. He LOVES the face to face connection. Well, anyone who knows me, or knows any mother in general knows that you don't have spare moments so I think he's just messing around so I put him down and continue making dinner or cleaning up or... whatever task needs to be done next! But sure enough five minutes later, he is SCREAMING. He thinks he's starving. He'll do this all day. I realized I need to practice a little PATIENCE! If I talk to him for a minute then guide him back to latch on HE'LL DO IT! Who would have thought if I would just relax and BE STILL he would eat. and on both sides! Then he is such a happy little boy and i can get soooo much more done!

Then there's Kala's lesson to me.
Since Benson was born and we moved and had all sorts of change... Kala has seemed to not listen anymore. very frustrating. I started trying to pay attention to all the little details. Trying to figure out how the heck i could help him. Well things got a little better when I just spent all my time playing with him. That worked but, I can't sit with him all day every day. That's just not possible. Then I figured out... IT WAS ME! The thing that had changed was the tight "leash" I put on Kala once Benson was born. I have been so uptight with trying to make sure everything still gets done and that Kala is anything but the crazy little boy that likes to make his own decisions. Well I've stopped being the helicopter parent that I seemed to turn into and have been practicing a little PATIENCE. I have been trying to wait to see how Kala is going to act in situations (unless they're dangerous of course). He has done sooo awesome. The other day we were having family prayer and Kala started getting up. Instead of stopping him, I just waited to see what he would do. Sure enough he got up and came to kneel right next to me. He really is such a sweet heart with the purest of intentions if I only give him to opportunity. He is one happy little boy now and is listening soo much better!!

my sweet boy was so tired! He hasn't done this since he was a baby!


Patience... something I'm not very good at but something I am definitely working on for both of my boys. I just need to take time to breathe in my days and the boys respond so much better. And yet, everything still gets done! Who would have thought!

1 comments:

Karen and Todd said...

They say "if a baby can't teach you love then one can" and I love that saying. It is so true! But my own take is that "if a baby can't teach you patience then no one can!". I think it's a lesson all mothers have to learn!

Post a Comment